Daniel and I have been stocking up on black beans for that past few months and it was time to find a recipe that I could use some of them up. I found this recipe on marthastewart.com but ended up tweaking it a bit to satisfy my taste buds. So here is my version.
Prep: 15 min. | Cook: 10 min.
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 onion (diced)
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 bell pepper (diced)
- 1 teaspoon of chili powder
- 2 cans (14.5oz each) of diced tomatoes in juice
- 3 cans (15oz each) of black beans, drained
- 1 can (14.5oz) of chicken broth
- 2 cups of frozen corn kernels
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- 2 tablespoons of fresh lime ( 1 squeezed lime)
- sour cream (optional)
- cilantro (optional)
1. In a large sauce pan, sauté onions and bell peppers in olive oil over medium heat for about 2-3 minuets or until lightly browned. Stir in garlic and chilli powder and cook until fragrant, about 1 minuet.
2. Add tomatoes, beans, broth, corn and 1 cup of water; season with salt, pepper and oregano; squeeze in lime juice.
3. Bring soup to a boil; reduce to simmer. Cook for about 10 minuets.
4. Serve with crushed tortillas chips, a dollop of sour cream, and a few leaves of cilantro.