So this is definitely not one for you dieters out there, but it sure is delish! Daniel and I like to get the big bag of broccoli florets at Costco and can never seem to eat them all before they go bad. Now that I've discovered this recipe, we will never have to worry about throwing out a half eaten moldy bag of broccoli again!
This was actually the first casserole that I've ever made and judging by Daniel's reaction I must not of done that bad! I love how creamy it is and the bread crumbs on the top add just the right amount of crunch. Try this recipe out and let me know what you think!
Prep: 45 min. | Yield: 8 servings
- 2 cups of uncooked rice
- 4-5 cups of broccoli florets
- 2 chicken breasts (chopped into 1 in. pieces)
- 1 can of condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup of mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 2 cups of shredded cheddar jack cheese
- pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of butter (melted)
- 2 tablespoons of bread crumbs
1. Cook the rice as the directions say. Steam the broccoli. Fry or broil the chicken until just barley cooked leaving just a small amount of pink.
2. In a bowl, add the can of condensed cream of chicken soup, mayonnaise, milk, and lemon juice and mix. Set aside.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
4. When the rice is cooked, spread it on the bottom of a 9x13 greased casserole dish.
5. Layer the cooked broccoli over the rice. Add cooked chopped chicken breasts.
6. Pour the soup mixture evenly over the casserole and top with shredded cheese.
7. In a small bowl, mix melted butter and bread crumbs and then sprinkle over the top of the casserole. Add some pepper to taste.
8. Place casserole in oven and bake for 25 min.